Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Me and Mister Jimmy down by Osborne's Bi-Rite


Every so often I run across an eatin' place that's so good -- so groin-grabbingly good, to borrow a phrase from Homer Simpson -- that I hesitate to tell anyone about it lest I have to stand in a long, long line the next time I eat there.

Osborne's Bi-Rite. Ain't no secret about it. Go there for lunch and you're gonna be standing in a long, long line ... 'cause you'll find a bunch of folks waiting to get a big-ass plate of fine country cooking at a low, low price.

It ain't often that I find myself agreeing with the Tennessean about anything. Back in June, however, Nashville's daily rag published a story entitled "Eat like a prince, pay like a pauper" in which Osborne's was given mad props for its cheap plate lunches. Mad props, indeed.

That said, here's what the Tennessean said 'bout Osborne's:

It may not technically be a restaurant, but the back counter at this Belmont-area grocery serves a big plate lunch daily between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. The price is usually under $5, and you'll find traditional meat-and-three centerpieces such as meatloaf, pork chops, fried chicken and catfish on the menu.

The Tennessean was 100 percent correct 'bout Osborne's "big plate lunch," er, lunches. But the Tennessean got the price wrong - go figrure. An Osborne's plate lunch will actually set you back $5.50 ... but, oh, what you'll get for five dollars and two quarters.

I recently met up with my ami/co-worker/fellow blogger Mister Jimmy for a quick lunch at Osborne's. He and I both ordered up the same thing: beef tips, mac-'n'-cheese, green beans, and cornbread. To wit (that's Mister Jimmy's hand holding up my plate):


As you can see, that's a pile o' food for $5.50. For me, that was two meals for $5.50 ... I ate half of it for lunch and ate the other half for dinner. What a bargain, indeed. But what about the quality of the food?

Groin-grabbingly good -- that's how I would tastfully (!) describe what you see in the above pic. The beef tips were tender; the gravy was rich and, well, beefy; the mac-'n'-cheese was full o' creamy cheddar flavor; the green beans were seasoned with just enough ham flavor; and the cornbread was pitch-perfect for sopping up purposes (meat-and-three afficanados will know what I mean by that).

There's another Osborne's Bi-Rite less than two minutes from my place of employ. Tain't not plate lunch counter at said Osborne's. That's a good thing. If'n I worked closer to the Osborne's Bi-Rite on Belmont Blvd., I'd soon find myself tipping the scales at 300 lbs, or more.

Yes, it's that good ...

Osborne's Bi-Rite
3116 Belmont Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37212
615.292.0253

4 comments:

Brian Stanley said...

In all seriousnes, Django, that is that second pic made me very very hungry.

Joltin' Django said...

In all seriousnes, Django, that is that second pic made me very very hungry.

Thank you. 'Tis what I'd hoped to do ...

Anonymous said...

that makes me want to drive the 85 miles to nashville and get lunch there

Mister Jimmy said...

And don't forget, they have Texas Pete hot sauce packets amongst their counter-top condiments. And peach cobbler that rivals any I've ever had, including that of my late grandmother, and she could do such wonderous things with food that would have got her burned as witch a few hundred years ago. Yep, the Belmont BiRite's peach cobbler is that good as well!
But please, everyone, if you're thinking about going there for lunch, they're out of everything so there's really no point in going.
Who get's that reference?