Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hang on to your wallet!



Regular readers will recall that I'd hoped to hit H & T's Homecooking sometime during this past weekend. A power outage at Chez Joltin' Django put the kibosh on my plans to eat two "soul food" meals in three days. (As much as I'd like to do so, I simply cannot eat rib-stickin' meals whilst profusely sweating. I'm funny that way.)

Having no plans for dinner ce soir, I decided to stop at H & T's on my way home from work for some take-out. As soon as I looked at the menu, I remembered why I'd made only one trip to H & T's since it opened in 2005.

Don't get me wrong, H & T's has some pretty tasty grub. Tonight I had fried chicken, pinto beans, turnip greens and corn bread. The fried chicken had a peppery crust and was very juicy; the pinto beans rested in just enough soup, and had big chunks of ham in 'em; the turnip greens were expertly seasoned (ham hock, salt and pepper) and tender; and the cornbread, while a tad dry, had a rich buttermilk 'n' cornmeal flavor.

That said, H & T's features the highest prices, and smallest portions, of any meat-and three I've yet encountered in and 'round Nashville. When it comes to meat-and three restaurants, that's strikes one, two, AND three as far as I'm concerned. $8 for a meat and two vegetables, and no drink, is way too pricey ... especially when you're still hungry after you've eaten your eight-dollar meal!

Why didn't I just go back to Ron's?!

H & T's Homecooking
2371 Murfreesboro Pike
Nashville, TN 37217

No comments: