Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pains me to say ...



If my grandmother wasn't cooking fresh or self-canned green beans, she would use Allen's "flat" green beans. She'd slow-simmer Allen's green beans with some bacon drippings, salt, pepper, and a little sugar, and, Boy Howdy, they was good.

Inspired by my Granny Ruby, I only use Allen's flat-beans when I'm cookin' green beans. I cook 'em just like she did -- with the bacon drippings, salt, pepper, and sugar -- but I also add a couple o' peeled potatoes cut into large cubes. (Granny, who's granny came straight from Ireland, wouldn't protest my potato-added green beans, I'm sure.)

Last week, I purchased a couple o' large cans of Allen's Seasoned Turnip Greens at my local Dollar General. "I like Allen's unseasoned green beans, so I must really like Allen's seasoned turnip greens!" I thought to myself. And then ...

Allen's seasoned turnip greens ain't real good. Indeed, 'bout the only seasoning you'll find in 'em is the taste of the can in which they were, well, canned. It pains me to say this, as a certified Fan O' Allen's, but I had to empty a bottle of Trappey's hot vinegar to make Allen's seasoned turnip greens palatable.

I won't be buying any Allen's-brand canned turnip greens again. Period.

No comments: