Thursday, May 15, 2008

Beans, beans, good for your ...

I told my amis Mr. Jimmy and Victoria that I was going to make a pot 'o beans tonight, and that's what I flat did ...


I had a hambone in my freezer that needed to be thawed and eaten, so I started thawing the thing 'bout 7 o'clock last night. (Hambone. I have a cat named "Hambone." Tee hee!)

Before I left for work this morning, I put a pound of dried mixed beans in a pot with about a quart and a half of water. When I got home, I drained the beans and put 'em back in my pot with fresh water. I then threw in my hambone, added some salt and pepper, and let the whole shebang simmer for about 2 hours.

When you're eating beans, you gotta throw in some chopped onions and chow chow ... you just gotta. And you gotta have cornbread. (One of these days, I will show loyal A Man's Gotta Eat readers how to make a skillet of fine-tasting cornbread. Stay tuned.)

You sometimes hear folks say that pork meat-infused beans and cornbread is "peasant food." Sorry, but I disagree with that assertion. Indeed, when I'm eating a pot of beans, I think of myself as eating like a king. So there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you shall be called the king of beans!

Mister Jimmy said...

After "Pork Chop" you shall be known as "Beanie Boy".
Hope you put some hot sauce in the mix.

Anonymous said...

What the hell is chow chow?

Joltin' Django said...

"What the hell is chow chow?"

If you go to Wikipedia, you'll "learn" that chow chow is a relish made from cabbage, carrots, cabbage, beans, asparagus, cauliflower, and peas. Bullshit.

My grandmother used to make chow chow, and it never had no beans or asparagus or cauliflower in it. My Granny Ruby's chow chow consisted of cabbage, onions, bell pepper, vinegar, salt and sugar. It was placed in a jar and allowed to pickle for several months before consumption. She'd put it on beans, blackeyed peas, and turnip greens; or, she'd eat it straight from the jar alongside fried chicken a fried pork steak. That's just how I eat it, too.

God bless Granny Ruby for teaching me how to eat high on the, er, chow chow.